As part of its series of Tax Tips for 2010 aimed at taxpayers, the IRS has issued a short list of tips on exempt organizations called Six Important Facts about Tax-Exempt Organizations (IRS Tax Tip 2010-29). These tips are directed at informing donors about exempt organizations. Here is the list:
- Annual returns are made available to the public.
- Donor lists generally are not public information.
- How to find tax-exempt organizations.
- Which organizations may accept charitable contributions.
- Requirement for organizations not able to accept deductible contributions.
- How to report inappropriate activities by an exempt organization.
The notice also includes links to IRS forms and publications that can assist donors in learning about the destructibility of their contributions and the organization to which they are donating.